“Jeon Cheong-jo, through Nam Hyun-hee, offered 3 billion won in sponsorship earlier this year”…approached the fencing association
Amid accusations and lawsuits over the Nam Hyun-hee-Cheong-jo case, it has been revealed that Jeon was rebuffed when she tried to make a large sponsorship offer to the Korean Fencing Association through Nam, a former national fencer.
According to a report by Yonhap News Agency on January 1, Mr. Nam introduced Mr. Jeon to senior officials of the fencing association as a “businessman who would donate 3 billion won” and conveyed his intention to sponsor the organization.
According to the fencing association, they attached a condition not to confirm the source of the money.
The proposed sponsorship plan went no further as the federation’s officials refused to provide the account number, saying they could not accept money anonymously.
An association official told Yonhap, “They said, ‘We’ll give you 30 billion won, but don’t check the source,’ but we need to know who gave the money and for what reason.